Related To Story
|
'Bizarre' Electrocution Prompts Home Builder Lawsuit
POSTED: 5:37 pm EST February 21, 2006
UPDATED: 5:24 pm EST February 24, 2006
One of the nation's largest home
builders, its electrical subcontractors and a Central Florida county have
been named in a wrongful death lawsuit after an appliance deliveryman was
electrocuted in a "bizarre accident," according to a Problem Solvers
investigation.
Deliveryman Rafael Ugalde died while on the job at 2777 Shearwater
St. in Lennar's Lost Lake Reserve in Clermont, Fla.
Ugalde was electrocuted even though power to the room had been
turned off, the report said.
"Wires behind a hallway wall hold the key to the bizarre accident
that killed Ugalde," Problem Solver Mike Holfeld said.
Attorney O.B. Samuel, who has documented the investigation into
Ugalde's death, said a drywall screw had been fired through the yellow
wire casing, piercing the hot wire inside and the metal stud. That created
a giant power circuit that electrified the house, according to the report.
"When they tore down the wall, it was quite obvious what had
happened," Samuel said.
An electrical subcontractor for the Lennar project found 110 volts
flowing through the screws of the room's mirror, the report said.
"That discovery is important because Rafael Ugalde was electrocuted
as he hooked the dryer hose to a vent," Holfeld said.
The medical examiner noted that the metal duct and vent tested
positive for 110 volts, according to the report.
Under state code, the electric wires should have been bundled with
a plastic strap or metal clip. However, there was no evidence the wires
were ever bundled.
Local 6 News also learned that Ugalde's shoes were wet while he was
in the structure yet he never touched an outlet.
"Five months later and no one has accepted responsibility for the
fatal mistake," Holfeld said.
"Well, then this story changes because we're not talking about an
accident, we're talking murder," Lisa Ugalde said.
The lawsuit's trail of blame includes the Lake County building
inspector.
Documents obtained by Local 6 showed an inspector approved the
electrical wiring on Sept. 6, 14 days before Ugalde was electrocuted.
"No denials were issued for the wiring," Holfeld said. "Ironically,
the final approval was issued two weeks after Ugalde died."
The lawsuit is expected to be filed this week.
An attorney for Lennar Homes told Local 6 News that new safety
protocols have been put in place since the accident. The company said it
is confident that the rest of the homes in the subdivision are safe.
"Lake County and the electrical subcontractors are not talking,"
Holfeld said. "So, the question remains, who made the mistake? And, who
will a jury hold accountable?"
Watch Local 6 News for more on this story.
Copyright 2006 by Internet Broadcasting Systems and
Local6.com. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or
redistributed.